[Humanist] 26.561 events: participatory digital archives

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Dec 9 11:18:02 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 11:12:18 -0500
        From: Molly Des Jardin <mdesjardin at gmail.com>
        Subject: Participatory Digital Archives Conference at Harvard in January

Here at Harvard's Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies, we will be
having a conference on January 24-25, 2013, entitled "Opportunities &
Challenges of Participatory Digital Archives: Lessons from the March 11,
2011 Great Eastern Japan Disaster." This is an event focused on the Digital
Archive of Japan's 2011 Disasters, a Harvard initiative which aims to
provide access to digital materials on the March 2011 earthquakes and
tsunami in Japan. The conference will also include presentations on
Harvard's digital archive content partners in Japan, user experiences with
the archive, and similar digital archive projects related to crises and
disasters. Among those presenting are representatives from Harvard and
Japanese institutions, Zeega, the Harvard Center for Geographic Analysis,
Internet Archive, the Berkman Center, Hypercities, and 18 Days in Egypt.

It's free and open to the public, although we do ask participants to
register so we have a head count. If you're in the Boston area, please
consider checking out the conference! More information, a schedule of
events, and registration can be found at the following URL:

http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/digitalarchivesconference/

The URL of the Digital Archive of Japan's 2011 Disasters is:

http://jdarchive.org

Best wishes,

Molly C. Des Jardin
Postdoctoral Fellow / Archive Development Manager
Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies
Harvard University
http://www.mollydesjardin.com
@mdesjardin