[Humanist] 26.557 Folger Digital Texts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Dec 8 17:01:12 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 07:16:40 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  26.555 Folger Digital Texts

I did download some of the texts.They appear to be marked up for
linguistic analysis. I don't wish to criticise the Folger texts per
se, but they do lead me to reflect in general on what the digital
humanities have become. Is our Shakespeare (and everything else)
really preserved for future generations in forms like this, or is it
not now mostly a collection of angle-brackets? One of the advantages
of XML has always been its supposed human readability, but the gradual
increase in complexity over the years has now reached a point where
the plain text format is self-defeating. When even a single line of a
play has to be stitched together by virtually joining individually
marked-up words how can we any longer pretend that XML is readable by
humans? We might as well use a standard binary format.

Desmond Schmidt
eResearch Lab
University of Queensland
Australia

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Humanist Discussion Group