[Humanist] 26.553 bash scripting

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 07:37:18 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>         (57)
        Subject: Re:  26.546 bash scripting?

  [2]   From:    James Smith <jgsmith at gmail.com>                           (34)
        Subject: Re:  26.546 bash scripting? print collection usage?

  [3]   From:    Mark LeBlanc <leblanc_mark at wheatoncollege.edu>            (12)

  [4]   From:    orlandi at rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it                          (12)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.546 bash scripting? print collection
                usage?

        Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 21:17:19 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>

Hi James,

I find that bash scripts tend to become unmanageable beyond a certain
length. They have limited facilities for string-handling and code
structuring. However, I still find them useful for automating small
tasks, gathering simple user input and combining existing tools to
produce a result. For example, you could write a simple script to
extract columns from a document, or to install an application. But I
wouldn't use them for serious tool building in the humanities. Like
most people, humanists have a strong distaste for the commandline. The
audience has to be someone who likes scripts, such as other
developers, or just yourself.

Desmond Schmidt
eResearch, ITEE
University of Queensland, Australia