[Humanist] 26.551 Juxta Commons online

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Dec 6 11:34:31 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 15:55:43 -0500
        From: Andrew Stauffer <amstauff at gmail.com>
        Subject: Juxta Commons: online collation competition

The NINES  http://nines.org  team at the University of Virginia is pleased
to announce the beta version of Juxta Commons  http://juxtacommons.org ,
now up and running at http://juxtacommons.org

Free and open source, Juxta Commons  http://juxtacommons.org is an online
workspace for comparing multiple versions of a single textual work and
sharing visualizations of differences.

Many of you may already be familiar with Juxta as a desktop client for
textual collation: we have now moved it to the web, in order to allow for
easier use and rapid sharing and publication of your results.  To that end,
we are proposing a CHALLENGE:

CREATE and SHARE a collation set and get the MOST UNIQUE VIEWS in one
month.  You'll win a lovely Juxta Commons commuter coffee mug, plus fame
and glory.  We will be keeping track via analytics, and we will announce
the winner in early January.  Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ integration
should help you share your collation set, or you can simply forward the
shared URL to the world.  You can even embed your collation in a webpage or
blog posting to ensure more traffic!

For example, here is a Juxta Commons collation set comparing two versions
of the American Declaration of Independence:

http://juxtacommons.org/shares/yY6Wrj

Remember that we are still in beta and are particularly interested in
load-testing the site, so bear with us if you experience slow-downs.  You
can send us feedback and bug reports via our Google Group here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/juxta-dev, or you
can send email to technologies at nines.org

You can find instructions on how to use Juxta Commons on the
site:http://www.juxtacommons.org/take_tour

Here is the announcement of the competition on the Juxta Software blog:
http://www.juxtasoftware.org/juxta-commons-sharing-competition/

Good luck and thanks for your input!
Andy

Andrew Stauffer