[Humanist] 26.234 events: "Life, The Universe and Machine Learning"

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Aug 17 08:59:48 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:31:16 +0100
        From: Andrew Prescott <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: inaugural lecture: "Life, The Universe and Machine Learning"

Neil Lawrence's Inaugural Lecture
Title: Life, The Universe and Machine Learning
Time: 17:15 Thursday 6th September 2012
Venue: St George's Church Lecture Theatre, University of Sheffield

Abstract
What is Machine Learning? Why is it useful for us? Machine learning
algorithms are the engines that are driving forward an intelligent
internet. They are allowing us to uncover the causes of cancer and
helping us understand the way the universe is put together. They are
suggesting who your friends are on facebook, enabling driverless cars
and causing flagging potentially fraudulent transactions on your credit
card. To put it simply, machine learning is about understanding data.

In this lecture I will try and give a sense of the challenges we face in
machine learning, with a particular focus on those that have inspired my
research. We will look at applications of data modelling from the early
18th century to the present, and see how they relate to modern machine
learning. There will be a particular focus on dealing with uncertainty:
something humans are good at, but an area where computers have typically
struggled. We will emphasize the role of uncertainty in data modelling
and hope to persuade the audience that correct handling of uncertainty
may be one of the keys to intelligent systems.
--

Professor Andrew Prescott FRHistS
Head of Department