[Humanist] 26.233 of the collecting of books

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Aug 17 08:40:53 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:28:59 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: of the collecting of books

The following arrived while I was away and will likely be of interest to
many here. Comments and reviews welcome.

Bode, Katherine. Reading by Numbers: Recalibrating the Literary Field.
London: Anthem Press, 2012.

Hayles, N. Katherine. How We Think: Digital Media and Contemporary
Technogenesis. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2012.

Thaller, Manfred, ed. Controversies around the Digital Humanities.
Special issue of Historical Social Research / Historische
Sozialforschung 37.3 (2012).

In addition I've come across and begun to read:

Humphreys, Paul. Extending Ourselves: Computational Science, Empiricism,
and Scientific Method. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004,

which will be of interest to anyone investigating how computing is
changing scientific research, and

Mayer-Schönberger, Viktor. Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the
Digital Age. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2009,

relevant to the problem of accumulating artificial memory-archives.

Of course there is no end to what might be listed (which endlessness is
cause for simultaneous joy and dismay), but the very fact of someone
here thinking to mention a book is itself a recommendation worth noting.
In the same way I find myself justifying a growing digital collection of
articles, chapters and books on my hard disc. My selecting them ranges
from the well considered to the nearly thoughtless, but the result (now
in the gigabytes) fuzzily delimits a range of persistent interests that
more often than not is where I begin new explorations or turn to for
recollection of old ones.

Has anyone studied this aspect of digital memory archives?

(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist