[Humanist] 26.228 events: Japanese gaming; digital palaeography

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Aug 11 16:09:04 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Brookes, Stewart" <stewart.brookes at kcl.ac.uk>            (52)
        Subject: DigiPal CfP: "Digital Approaches to Medieval Script and
                Image"

  [2]   From:    Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel at ualberta.ca>                  (28)
        Subject: Replaying Japan

        Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:41:13 +0100
        From: "Brookes, Stewart" <stewart.brookes at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: DigiPal CfP: "Digital Approaches to Medieval Script and Image"

Dear all,

Please find below our call for papers for our November symposium. Please note
that even if you are unable to attend, please send in an abstract as we are looking
for submissions for a collection of essays as the follow-up to our in-the-works volume,
"Digital Palaeography" (Ashgate).

Thanks and all best,

Stewart

CfP: "Digital Approaches to Medieval Script and Image"

DigiPal One-Day Symposium

22nd November 2012, King’s College London

The DigiPal team (http://digipal.eu/) are delighted to invite submissions for their second
symposium at King's College London. This year's theme is the implications of the increasing
reliance of the scholarly community upon digital images and technologies. Bringing together
art historians, palaeographers, medievalists and the Digital Humanities, the symposium will
share theoretical approaches and methodologies and, crucially, test prevalent assumptions.

--------------------------------
How to propose a paper
--------------------------------

Papers of 20 minutes in length are invited on any relevant aspect of digital approaches to the
representation of script and manuscript art. We would like to facilitate a wide-ranging debate
and so welcome submissions from scholars whose primary experience is not with digitising
images, or necessarily the medieval period.

Possible topics could include:

 * the practical and theoretical consequences of the use of digital images
 * the relevance of art historical theories to the digital representation of medieval manuscripts
 * the problems and potentials presented by digital imaging technologies
 * palaeographical method for ‘Digital’ and ‘Analogue’ palaeography
 * reassessing the terminology used in manuscript studies and palaeography
 * reports from projects that make use of digitised images

To propose a paper, please email a brief abstract (250 words max.) to digipal [at] kcl.ac.uk http://kcl.ac.uk/ .

The deadline for the receipt of submissions is 10.23pm on Friday 14th September 2012

Please note that it is our intention to collect selected papers from the symposium as part of a
forthcoming publication and so you may wish to submit an abstract even if you can't attend.
Several papers from last year's symposium are being edited as part of our forthcoming
volume, "Digital Palaeography" (Ashgate).

----------------
Registration

Registration will officially open from Thursday 20th September, but if you'd like to pre-reserve
a place, then please let us know at your earliest convenience by emailing digipal [at] kcl.ac.uk http://kcl.ac.uk/ .

We look forward to hearing from you,

Stewart Brookes and Peter Stokes

--