[Humanist] 26.227 War of 1812 visualisations?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Aug 11 16:05:32 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:18:39 -0400
        From: Simulating Simulations <simulatinghistory at gmail.com>
        Subject: 1812 Resources - War of 1812 Visualization Input

Dear 1812 enthusiast,

I work with Dr. Kevin Kee (Department of History and Centre for Digital
Humanities at Brock University). Our team has recently launched a new
website, 1812 Resources, a digital collection of resources related to the
War of 1812. Our goal in creating this Web site is to catalogue resources
of interest to those studying or teaching the War of 1812, and then create
visual representations of the information we have collected. We believe
that in presenting information in a new way, we can literally see history
differently.  (Please see an example at the bottom of this email.) In the
coming weeks, we will offer distinct visualizations that represent trends
in each segment of our collection.

We are writing to ask for your input. What questions are you asking of
resources related to the War of 1812? What visual presentations would
benefit you? We are open to any suggestions that you may have, and our
staff will consult on any idea to make the most of our collection for the
benefit of the wider community. We will share whatever we generate with you
and the public.

The 1812 Resources website project was designed by me. If you have any
questions regarding our website or our research, please do not hesitate to
contact me through our website: http://1812resources.com

Thank you for your time and we look forward to hearing any suggestions from
you.

Kev Greene and the 1812 Resources Team
Simulating History Lab
Brock University

Please find below one of the visualizations we have created comparing
American and Canadian War of 1812 websites' terminology. This visualization
shows three groups of words that surround the two central points, which
represent Canadian and American sites. The group at the centre includes
words that are used by websites from both countries, while the two separate
rings show words used only by one country or the other. For instance,
American websites use words such as "Enterprize" and "Triumph" while
Canadian websites mention "Evidence" and "Oxford." By comparing the words
used by the websites of each country, we can better understand the
attitudes they have toward the war and what aspects are most important to
each country.

[image: Inline image 1]

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1344629936_2012-08-10_humanist-owner@lists.digitalhumanities.org_11134.2.jpeg