[Humanist] 26.224 cfp: Early Modern Digital

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Aug 10 19:05:42 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:42:31 +0000
        From: "Looser, Devoney" <looserd at missouri.edu>
        Subject: CFP:  Journal for Early Modern Cultural Studies:  Special Issue on the Early Modern Digital

Journal for Early Modern Cultural Studies:  Special Issue on the Early
Modern Digital (due 15 Jan 2013)

It is well understood that "the digital turn" has transformed the
contemporary cultural, political and economic environment.  Less appreciated
perhaps is its crucial importance and transformative potential for those of
us who study the past.  Whether through newly—and differently—accessible
data and methods (e.g. "distant reading"), new questions being asked of that
new data, or recognizing how digital reading changes our access to the
materiality of the past, the digital humanities engenders a particularized
set of questions and concerns for those of us who study the early modern,
broadly defined (mid-15th to mid-19th centuries).

For this special issue of JEMCS, we seek essays that describe the challenges
and debates arising from issues in the early modern digital, as well as work
that shows through its methods, questions, and conclusions the kinds of
scholarship that ought best be done—or perhaps can only be done— in its
wake.  We look for contributions that go beyond describing the advantages
and shortcomings of (or problems of inequity of access to) EEBO, ECCO, and
the ESTC to contemplate how new forms of information produce new ways of
thinking.

We invite contributors to consider the broader implications and uses of
existing and emerging early modern digital projects, including data mining,
data visualization, corpus linguistics, GIS, and/or potential obsolescence,
especially in comparison to insights possible through traditional archival
research methods. Essays of 3000-8000 words are sought in .doc, .rtf, or.pdf
format by January 15, 2013
jemcsfsu at gmail.com.

All manuscripts must include a 100-200 word abstract. JEMCS adheres to
MLA format, and submissions should be prepared accordingly.

In addition, we would welcome brief reports (500-1500 words) that describe
digital projects in progress in early modern studies (defined here as
spanning from the mid-fifteenth to the mid-nineteenth centuries), whether
or not these projects have yet reached completion.  These reports, too,
should be submitted in .doc, .rtf, or.pdf format, using MLA style, by 15
January 2013 to  to jemcsfsu at gmail.com<mailto:jemcsfsu at gmail.com.

Devoney Looser, Catherine Paine Middlebush Chair and Professor of English
Co-Editor, Journal for Early Modern Cultural Studies
Tate Hall 114
Department of English
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211