[Humanist] 26.214 versions of texts: two projects

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 7 15:38:53 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Andrew Prescott <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>               (48)
        Subject: Othello Arrayed in Translations: Version Variation
                Visualization Project News

  [2]   From:    Stephen Ross <saross at uvic.ca>                             (21)
        Subject: The Modernist Versions Project: news and thanks

        Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 20:42:32 +0100
        From: Andrew Prescott <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Othello Arrayed in Translations: Version Variation Visualization Project News

> Subject: 	Othello Arrayed in Translations: Version Variation Visualization Project News
> Date: 	Mon, 6 Aug 2012 19:08:23 +0100
> From: 	Cheesman T. <T.Cheesman at swansea.ac.uk>

Dear all,

Apologies for sending an impersonal email. It's to the many who have
helped this project -- wittingly or not. With thanks.

"Explore Great Works with their World-wide Translations" -- the first
"Translation Array" prototype is live online at
www.delightedbeauty.org/vvvclosed
 http://www.delightedbeauty.org/vvvclosed  (read-only). At the
read-and-write site www.delightedbeauty.org/vvv
 http://www.delightedbeauty.org/vvv , you can upload corpora and work on
them. The login for both installations is: Guest  Guest2012

Our test corpus is Shakespeare's /Othello/, Act 1 Scene 3, with 32
German versions (1766-2010).

We'll present our work at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, London, on
September 11 -- all welcome: see ow.ly/cLIu5  http://ow.ly/cLIu5  -- and
at the Leipzig eHumanities Seminar, Oct 24. Kevin Flanagan built the
corpus store and segmentation/alignment tool. Stephan Thiel designed
visual interfaces. Zhao Geng has developed further visual analysis
tools, offline as yet: see ow.ly/cLJu6  http://ow.ly/cLJu6 . AHRC is the
main project funder. We hope this model will be interesting for
research, education, and arts practice.

At '/vvvclosed' (or ow.ly/cLKDT  http://ow.ly/cLKDT ), click the lower
left image ('Interface study for Viv & Eddy values'). Click any speech
to see all German versions, with Google's English back-translations.
Versions can be arranged in order of distinctiveness ('Eddy' values).
Varying coloration of the base text expresses the intensity of variation
among versions ('Viv' values). Certain sub-speech segments have also
been defined, e.g. "Here is the man, this Moor" or "I saw Othello's
visage in his mind". (On ‘Eddy and Viv’, see ow.ly/cLJN1
 http://ow.ly/cLJN1 . We're still working on the maths... and everything.)

Feedback, questions, requests and offers are all welcome. Email me, or
the team on: transarrays at gmail.com <mailto:transarrays at gmail.com> or
tweet @transarrays. We'll be delighted to hear from you.

Best regards for what's left of the summer,

Tom

Dr Tom Cheesman
Reader in German
College of Arts and Humanities