[Humanist] 25.918 real vs digital

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 27 07:34:52 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 13:16:20 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.916 real vs digital

re WM in elevator [lift, that is]:  I have read a few Obits this past year
wherein I learned that their subjects had been derided and/or dissed at the
beginning of their career for offering research projects [and work] in
their own speciality, which was NOT that of the reigning scientists in that
field; molecular bio, or astronomy, or even public health theory and
administration; not only that, but even scorned.  And then, lo! behold! in
3 decades come a Nobel for that very work.

Freud wrote a fine little essay on this very phenomenon: "Narcissism in
Respect [or Regard?] to Minor Differences."  Its principal operates in
almost all group relations.  That is what WM's insight in the elevator is
about.  Not simply territorialism, like the canines and other big animals
pissing on trees to demarcate their own field's boundary.  [A passing
thought: I have never seen the female of any species doing that.  I can
imagine her operations are designed to attract suitors, not repel
competitors...?]

Jascha Kessler

--
Jascha Kessler