[Humanist] 25.907 music from laptop orchestra

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 20 07:11:54 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:31:38 -0400
        From: David Ogborn <ogbornd at mcmaster.ca>
        Subject: esp.beat - cybernetic orchestra CD

Dear humanist,

The debut album "esp.beat" from the Cybernetic Orchestra here at
McMaster was released in a special CD release event ("Resonant") at the
Factory Media Arts Centre during Hamilton's monthly James Street N art
crawl last Friday (April 13 2012).  We distributed just over 200 CDs to
an enthusiastic audience of just over 300 people - it was quite a blast!
 I'm sure we'll do it again soon...

The entire album is available online (release under a Creative Commons
Attribution Non-commercial Share-a-like license (CC BY-NC-SA) via
soundcloud - here's the link:
http://soundcloud.com/cyberneticorchestra/sets/esp-beat

I believe the work of our laptop orchestra addresses multiple areas of
concern for the digital humanities.  Orchestra members come from a wide
variety of backgrounds, predominantly in the humanities, and perform
live programming (live coding) during our weekly rehearsals and in front
of audiences.  We are using rough prototypes of the espTools software
(forthcoming) for communication and beat sharing.  The orchestra's work
has been supported by an Image Text and Sound Technology grant from
Canada's Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).  The
orchestra's work is supported also by the weekly meetings of the ESP
research group here at McMaster - an action research group whose methods
and interests range from software engineering and design, through
artistic production, performance and documentation, to the empirical and
analytical interrogation of participants, artists and audiences.

We'll be posting some more improv recordings (including some from the CD
release party) shortly, and some video footage collected over the past
14 months throughout April and May.  But in the meantime we hope you
enjoy this "audio-only" edition of our music!

Yours truly,
David, on behalf of the Cybernetic Orchestra

Dr. David Ogborn, Assistant Professor
Communication Studies & Multimedia
Director, Cybernetic Orchestra & ESP Studio
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada

ogbornd --at-- mcmaster.ca
http://davidogborn.net
http://twitter.com/ogbornd