[Humanist] 25.894 battle for the Internet?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Apr 17 06:40:11 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:49:32 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: control of the Internet

Many here will, I suspect, be interested in the (British) Guardian's
investigation into the several attempts to control the Internet: "Battle
for the internet", at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/series/battle-for-the-internet.

Does anyone here understand how control of the Internet, as is
practiced or planned, is done? I was under the impression that the
decentralised design made such control difficult to impossible. Clearly
it isn't.

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,