[Humanist] 25.890 one question

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Apr 14 08:33:52 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 18:33:31 -0700
        From: Noel Radley <noelradley at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.861 one question?

Dear Willard,

I reply because I have thought along the lines of your question many
times.  I would ask, How do we *scale* cultural studies to science and
technology?  The idea of scale comes from Edward Tufte's idea of mapping
information on a universal grid.  My question, as well, is influenced by
Alan Liu's recent question:  Where is cultural studies in the Digital
Humanities?  I wonder this ratio (or relationship) when I attempt to apply
neurocriticism to literature, when I talk about the study of technology
instead if talking about social theory, or when I try to think about
textual studies in the context of bio-politics.  Below is the talk by Liu
at the University of Texas, when he articulated this question.  As you may
know, Tufte's idea of the universal grid is from _Beautiful Evidence_.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RALNyQL0kTY&feature=player_embedded

Sincere Regards,
Noel

Noel Radley, Lecturer
Department of English
Santa Clara University
(noelradley.com/)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <