[Humanist] 25.427 ideas and things?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 28 09:15:59 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:13:35 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: ideas and things

Consider the following two utterances:

1. "No ideas / but in things" (William Carlos Williams, "A Sort of a Song")
2. Thing Knowledge (title of a book in the philosophy of scientific
instruments by Davis Baird)

Implicit in both, we might say, is an argument pulling ideas and things
together, though each in the opposite direction to the other. Each is
addressed to an audience that, I'd suppose, has too much of the one in
mind without the other. This is a common enough disciplinary tug-of-war,
e.g. between mathematical physicists and engineers. Others cheer on one
side or the other depending on their own interests and the fashions of
the moment.

Can we agree that the truth (or best state) lies for the digital
humanities in the middle? Where are we at the moment? On which side is
our imbalance?

Comments?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,