[Humanist] 25.426 events: Chicago Colloquium

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 28 08:50:19 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:28:26 +0200
        From: Arno Bosse <abosse at uchicago.edu>
        Subject: Final Program and Speakers for 2011 Chicago DHCS Colloquium; Registration now open

[Posted on behalf of Profs. George K. Thiruvathukal and Steven E. Jones
at Loyola University Chicago, DHCS 2011 Co-Chairs]

Dear Colleagues:

We are pleased to announce that the program has been set for the 2011
Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science
(http://chicagocolloquium.org) which will be held November 19-21 at
Loyola University Chicago's Water Tower Campus, located in downtown
Chicago on the Magnificent Mile. The Chicago Colloquium on Digital
Humanities and Computer Science (DHCS) brings together researchers and
scholars in the humanities and computer science to examine the current
state of digital humanities as a field of intellectual inquiry and to
identify and explore new directions and perspectives for future
research.

The (near) final program is available at
http://chicagocolloquium.org/dhcs-2011-program/.

The registration form is available at
http://chicagocolloquium.org/dhcs-2011-registration/.

Information about the venue and nearby hotels is available at
http://chicagocolloquium.org/dhcs-2011-hotels/.

This year92s DHCS is sponsored by Loyola University Chicago, the
University of Chicago, Northwestern University, and the Illinois
Institute of Technology. We have also just received support from the IT
Consultancy ThoughtWorks (http://www.thoughtworks.com/) for this year's
reception on the main evening of the conference (Sunday, November 20).

We're honored to announce our three keynote speakers at DHCS 2011:

Barbara Maria Stafford (http://barbaramariastafford.com/) is the
Distinguished University Visiting Professor at Georgia Institute of
Technology. Her work has consistently explored the intersections between
the visual arts and the physical and biological sciences from the early
modern to the contemporary era. Her current research charts the
revolutionary ways the neurosciences are changing our views of the human
and animal sensorium, shaping our fundamental assumptions about
perception, sensation, emotion, mental imagery, and subjectivity.
Stafford92s most recent book is Echo Objects: The Cognitive Work of
Images, University of Chicago Press, 2007. Her talk is entitled
Visualizing Attention: The Need for Conscious Seeing in Visual Search.

Nick Montfort (http://nickm.com/) is associate professor of digital
media at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Montfort has
collaborated on the blog Grand Text Auto, the sticker
novelImplementation, and 2002: A Palindrome Story. He writes poems, text
generators, and interactive fiction such as Book and Volume and Ad
Verbum. Most recently, he has published Riddle & Bind (Spineless Books,
2010) and together with Ian Bogost, Racing the Beam: The Atari Video
Computer System (MIT Press, 2009). Montfort also wroteTwisty Little
Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction (MIT Press, 2003) and
co-edited The Electronic Literature Collection Volume 1 (ELO, 2006) and
The New Media Reader (MIT Press, 2003). His talk will be focused on
Platform Studies.

Ajita John
(http://www.research.avayalabs.com/gcm/usa/en-us/people/all/ajitajohn.htm)
 began her research career at Bell Labs and is now a Research Scientist
at Avaya Labs. Her work explores the interplay between social media and
rich media interactions over audio and video and has proposed live
collaborative tagging - a new form of tagging in the enterprise where
participants in an audio conference collaboratively tag the conversation
with freely-formed keywords. Her research has explored searching and
browsing of tagged rich media and developed computational models for
inferring expertise and macro-level properties for user communities in
social networks. Her talk titled Conversations: Then and Now; How Social
Media has Changed Interactions and Perspectives will focus on the impact
of social media feedback for conversations in the enterprise and in
public forums, techniques to integrate the feedback into persisted
conversations, and visual perspectives in information retrieval for
social media-based content. Ajita holds a PhD in computer science from
the University of Texas at Austin, has authored numerous conference and
journal papers, book chapters, and holds several patents.

Please see http://chicagocolloquium.org/2011/08/keynote-speakers/ for
additional details.

We encourage you to register as soon as possible at
http://chicagocolloquium.org/dhcs-2011-registration/. Space at the venue
is limited to approximately 150 attendees. We look forward to seeing you
at Loyola University Chicago.

George K. Thiruvathukal and Steven E. Jones
Loyola University Chicago
Co-Chairs, DHCS 2011

---

Arno Bosse