[Humanist] 25.416 open access

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 26 09:33:47 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    D.Allington <d.allington at open.ac.uk>                      (22)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 25.412 open access (in defense)

  [2]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (89)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.412 open access

  [3]   From:    Leif Isaksen <leifuss at googlemail.com>                    (101)

        Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:44:45 +0100
        From: D.Allington <d.allington at open.ac.uk>

Willard, I agree that it's not quite fair. The open access problem faced by researchers in the humanities (as well as in the social and natural sciences) is not technological but institutional. One is putting one's career at risk if one doesn't aim to publish the main part of one's work in major journals and scholarly presses - yet doing so places severe restrictions on the ways in which that work can be made available to the wider public. This problem is not insurmountable, but to overcome it may require a form of political action to which academics are unaccustomed. What would it take to persuade an appointments committee that a digital object linked to from NINES was equivalent to a monograph published by Oxford University Press?

As I understand it, things are a little easier for computer scientists, for whom the conference paper is a much more important form of research dissemination.

Daniel

Dr Daniel Allington
Lecturer, English Language Studies & Applied Linguistics
Centre for Language and Communication
Stuart Hall Building
The Open University
http://open.academia.edu/DanielAllington