[Humanist] 25.412 open access

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 25 10:13:54 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:13:22 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: in defense

Researchers in the humanities are in the course of this discussion of
open access taking flak if not direct fire for being uninvolved in open
access discussions and movements. I wonder, however, if this is
fair. Aren't we (I include myself among these researchers) busy
enough without having to pay significant attention not just to the
manner in which our writings are published but more to the
infrastructure of publication? I agree that the problems we touch on
here are very, very important, i.e. they bear sharply on the central
purpose of research, at least for me, which is to communicate
thoughts, findings, constructs. But infrastructure, while important
to everyone, does not, cannot be everyone's job to build and
maintain.

The action I take is short-term and individual, so perhaps culpable,
but it is action, and it is what I can do without diverting my time for
research. I put penultimate versions of what I write online whenever
possible. And I am *enormously* grateful to others for the same. (And
please note that, as I am fond of saying, one of the main effects of
doing that is a dramatic increase in my book-buying.)

Wouldn't it be better to paint a variegated landscape in which a
portion of its denizens are worthily employed with open-access
concerns while others do various other things?

Comments?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,