[Humanist] 25.405 "open" access?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 21 09:48:39 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 08:39:15 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: "open" access

I am informed automatically by the journals division of Oxford
University Press that OUP has established an "open access model", known
as Oxford Open:

> Through this initiative, authors of accepted papers will
> be given the option of paying an open access publication
> charge to make their paper freely available online
> immediately via the journal website, meaning that readers
> will not need a journal subscription to view open access
> content.

While, as the Editor of a journal myself, I appreciate that publishers
must charge for what they publish, it does seem to me to be a misuse of
language to call this model "open". It is actually a "prepaid
option".

Some of you will know the model is taken directly from the
sciences, where authors build publication charges into their
grant-applications. Rarely, or only sometimes, can we in the humanities
do that. Furthermore, since the practice of putting (actually or
nominally) penultimate versions online is quite common, I do wonder
about the wisdom of creating such a model for the underfunded
researchers in our field. They will vote with their websites.

The charges are hardly trivial. See
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/oxfordopen/charges.html.

Comments?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,