[Humanist] 25.395 Internet Archaeology open; call for editions & essays

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 18 07:40:13 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Judith Winters <judith.winters at YORK.AC.UK>                (50)
        Subject: Internet Archaeology 'Open' for Open Access week!

  [2]   From:    Andrew Jewell <ajewell at unlnotes.unl.edu>                  (56)
        Subject: Scholarly Editing: Call for Editions and Essays

        Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:41:01 +0100
        From: Judith Winters <judith.winters at YORK.AC.UK>

Internet Archaeology is going totally 'Open Access' for duration of Open
Access Week, 24-30 October.

The e-journal Internet Archaeology has been a hybrid Open Access journal for
over a year, and it is our wish to move fully towards a sustainable Open
Access (OA) model. I hope therefore that this event will both demonstrate
our serious efforts in this direction as well as give potential authors (in
whose hands the journal's future really lies) the opportunity to view the
range of material IA can publish. I'd like to encourage all authors to
include OA fees in future research funding applications wherever possible.

What we've done/are doing

.         Following negotiations, JISC Collections has purchased the full
suite of Internet Archaeology content on behalf of UK higher and further
education institutions, which means that their members have permanent access
to 15 years of rich multimedia scholarly content.

.         All reviews and editorials in Internet Archaeology have always
been Open Access.

.         We have also had success more recently in attracting articles with
OA funding either via authors' departmental research committees, government
agencies or University library OA funds.

.         But at current levels, this is still not enough to replace our
existing subscription income (which still provides the main means of
covering our costs i.e. one full-time member of staff and production
overheads) which would allow us to make the full transition to Open Access.
However the proportion of uptake of the OA option will be continually
monitored and subscriptions to the journal will be reviewed annually in
light of this uptake while we make the transition.

What can you do?

o   Are you applying for research funding? Where possible, include OA costs
in your application. Just approach me at the earliest possible stage with
your publication idea so that costs can be calculated.

o   Have you already finished your research/project and looking for a
publication outlet? Increasingly university departments and research
libraries have publication and/or OA funds. Investigate these options and
again let me know of your plans at the earliest opportunity.

Please feel free to circulate this announcement as widely as possible.

Regards,

Judith

---
Judith Winters
Editor, Internet Archaeology, University of York
  http://intarch.ac.uk/  http://intarch.ac.uk
Twitter: @IntarchEditor
Times Higher Education University of the Year 2010