[Humanist] 25.389 bipolar intelligence

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Oct 16 11:57:05 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:50:05 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: bipolar intelligence

I've argued casually for some time that the difference between what
computing can do (at any one moment) and what we can do isn't to be
resolved but to be held in mind simultaneously so that one can play off
against the other. Unlike computer science the push in the digital
humanities is to strive for this difference, not to strive for its
elimination, i.e. for the successful automation of the research problem
in hand.

Thanks to the Finnish ecologist Yrjö Haila, "Socioecologies",
Ecography 22.4 (1999), I can now refer to a serious argument to back up
my notion of bipolar intelligence: Peter Elbow's "The uses of binary
thinking", JAC 13.1 (1993),
www.jacweb.org/Archived_volumes/Text_articles/V13_I1_Elbow.htm. Elbow
draws, as he says, on a tradition that "sees value in accepting, putting
up with, indeed seeking the nonresolution of the two terms: not feeling
that the opposites must be somehow reconciled, not feeling that the itch
must be scratched." Read it tonight (or this afternoon)!

He makes the intellectual argument, so I won't try that here. But it's
worth noting that without seeing the computational and the humanistic as
opposites useful to each other as such *and* holding both simultaneously
in mind, the digital humanities withers away into service, either
delivering computational work meekly to the humanities (and so the
techie subaltern in the academic department, or the software shop
serving several departments) or humanistic data slavishly served up
to computing (and so the technical poacher hungry for interesting problems).

Comments?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,