[Humanist] 25.382 intro topics and texts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 15 07:26:47 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:59:12 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.370 intro topics and texts

Thank you for the response, Willard -- I hadn't thought of my question from
the point of view of  the effect of the humanities upon someone with a
background in the sciences.  But I believe that's a good answer.  The
humanities should haunt the sciences and remind them of their limitations.

I'm trying to imagine what an undergraduate Digital Humanities degree or
concentration might look like, especially one that would lead to further
graduate study.  What I imagine so far includes:

1. Interdisciplinary knowledge of the humanities, so that the graduate has
grounding in literature, art, and history at least (Classics, British,
American, World).  Philosophy would integrated with the study of these three
disciplines.
2. One year of calculus
3. One programming language
4. .xml, .css. .php, .html (varieties)
5. Image and video editing
6. Familiarity with TEI and ICONCLASS
7. Sound editing?
8. Basic knowledge of the history of digital humanities and its uses across
disciplines.

Anything anyone would add, drop, modify, substitute?

Thank you,

Jim R

To reply somewhat tangentially to a recent question asked on Humanist (James