[Humanist] 25.370 intro topics and texts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 13 07:23:45 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:14:30 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: being haunted

In a wonderful, at times very funny interview with the psychologist
George A. Miller in Bernard J. Baars, The Cognitive Revolution in
Psychology (New York: Guilford Press, 1986): 200-23, Miller talks about
his early educational background. Later Baars asks him why it is that
his work during the late 1940s and 1950s was so remarkably free from the
constraints of behaviouristic psychology that dominated his discipline.
Miller mentions his graduate school experience at Harvard, and Baars
asks, "Do you think that your college background in literature and
theater may have helped to broaden your perspective as well?" Miller
replies, "It was more a matter of being haunted by that background -- of
experiencing the psychology we were developing as inadequate to deal
with the things I'd learned in literature and drama" (p. 211).

To reply somewhat tangentially to a recent question asked on Humanist (James
Rovira's, in 25.278), I think in just this way about the best sort of
background for students who wish to study the digital humanities: of an
educational background that will continually haunt them with the
inadequacies of whatever computing can come up with, as a driving force to
greater understanding.

Comments?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,