[Humanist] 25.369 GIS projects

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 13 07:21:45 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Moacir <moacir at uchicago.edu>                              (32)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.365 GIS projects

  [2]   From:    "Nowviskie, Bethany (bpn2f)"                              (13)
                <bpn2f at eservices.virginia.edu>

        Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:05:11 +0200
        From: Moacir <moacir at uchicago.edu>

Victoria Szabo <victoria.szabo at duke.edu> wrote:

> I suspect some people don't feel such work falls within the purview of
> DH strictly speaking, either...

This was why I did not write in yesterday morning, and it's also
reflected in how Nicolaie phrased the question, asking about GIS
projects "in relation to Digital Humanities."

Is it possible that a humanistic project can incorporate a GIS yet not
be a DH project?

On the one hand, this seems absurd. Surely a GIS—reliant as it is on
(digital*) data collection, manipulation, and analysis—fits within
even the most restrictive definitions of DH?

On the other, my own project, which incorporates (but not centrally) a
GIS, certainly does not feel like a DH project—or even, necessarily, a
GIS project; I look at the Mapping the Lakes project, for example, a
shining instance of using a GIS in the humanities, and consider myself
doing something completely different, though with the same software.

But I doubt my own apprehensions are in line with the taxonomic divide
suggested above. Ideas?

--m

* I suppose an "information system" need not be digital, though in GIS
school we were taught that the workstation, software, and database
were all necessary components of a GIS. But I've also not ever read a
single piece about using a GIS in the humanities, from the
introduction to the Bodenhamer et al. book on down, that did not refer
to the declining cost (in time and money) of computers and
software—and hence, of building and using a GIS—when explaining why
GISes were growing in the humanities.

--
Moacir P. de Sá Pereira
PhD Candidate, Dept. of English Language and Literature
http://moacir.com/ | moacir at uchicago.edu