[Humanist] 25.364 events: poetry & science; language; Australasian DH; digital film

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 11 08:16:27 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Dr Paul Arthur <paul.arthur at anu.edu.au>                  (121)
        Subject: Invitation: Digital Humanities Australasia conference, 28-30
                March 2012

  [2]   From:    Sharon Ruston <s.ruston at SALFORD.AC.UK>                    (14)
        Subject: Lecture and seminar for the Manchester Science Festival

  [3]   From:    Luana Ferreira de Freitas <luanafreitas.luana at gmail.com>  (28)
        Subject: *Volta ao fim *(*Back to the end*)

  [4]   From:    alckmar luiz dos santos <alckmar at gmail.com>               (14)

  [5]   From:    "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <lauersdorf at uky.edu>                 (45)
        Subject: Call for Papers: Language Technology at KFLC 2012

        Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:24:47 +1100
        From: Dr Paul Arthur <paul.arthur at anu.edu.au>
        Subject: Invitation: Digital Humanities Australasia conference, 28-30 March 2012

Call for Papers, Panels and Posters

Arts and Social Sciences, Australian National University.

CONFERENCE WEBSITE: http://aa-dh.org/conference
CALL FOR PROPOSALS CLOSES: 11 November 2011
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE: 30 November 2011
REGISTRATION OPENS: Early January 2012

 The Australasian Association for Digital Humanities is pleased to announce
its inaugural conference, to be held at the Australian National University,
Canberra, 28-30 March, 2012. The conference will feature papers, panels,
posters and associated workshops. We invite proposals on all aspects of
digital humanities in Australia, New Zealand and internationally, and
especially encourage papers showcasing new research and developments in the
field and/or responding to the conference theme of ‘Building, Mapping,
Connecting’.

 Proposals may focus on, but need not be limited to:

 - Institutionalisation, interdisciplinarity and collaboration
- Measuring and valuing digital research
 - Publication and dissemination
- Research applications and interfaces for digital collections
- Designing and curating online resources
- Digital textuality and literacy
- Curriculum and pedagogy
- Culture, creativity, arts, music, performance
- Electronic critical editions
- Digitisation, text encoding and analysis
- Communities and crowdsourcing
- Infrastructure, virtual research environments, workflows
- Information mining, modelling, GIS and visualisation
- Critical reflections on digital humanities futures

INTERNATIONAL SPEAKERS

Julia Flanders (Brown University, USA)
Alan Liu (University of California, Santa Barbara, USA)
Peter Robinson (University of Saskatchewan, Canada)
Harold Short (King’s College London, UK and University of Western Sydney,
Australia)
John Unsworth (University of Illinois, USA)

 ----------------------
SUBMISSIONS
 ----------------------

 Abstracts of no more than 300 words, together with a biography of no more
than 100 words, should be submitted to the Program Committee by 11 November,
2011. All proposals will be fully refereed. Proposals should be submitted
via the online form at http://conference.aa-dh.org. Please indicate whether
you are proposing a poster, a short paper (10 mins), a long paper (20 mins)
or a panel. Presenters will be notified of acceptance of their proposal on
30 November, 2011.

 -------------------------------
TRAVEL BURSARIES
-------------------------------

 The Australian Academy of the Humanities has provided funding for travel
bursaries. These will be available on a competitive basis for postgraduate
students and early career researchers from Australia and New Zealand to
present at the conference and participate in associated workshops. Staff
from cultural institutions are also encouraged to apply. When submitting
your proposal please indicate if you wish to be considered for a bursary.

 ----------------------------
PROPOSAL TYPES
----------------------------

 1. Poster presentations

 Poster presentations may include work-in-progress on any of the topics
described above as well as demonstrations of computer technology, software
and digital projects. A separate poster session will open the conference,
during which time presenters will need to be available to explain their
work, share their ideas with other delegates, and answer questions. Posters
will also be on display at various times during the conference, and
presenters are encouraged to provide material and handouts with more
detailed information and URLs.

 2. Short papers

 Short papers are allocated 10 minutes (plus 5 minutes for questions) and
are suitable for describing work-in-progress and reporting on shorter
experiments and software and tools in early stages of development.

 3. Long papers

 Long papers are allocated 20 minutes (plus 10 minutes for questions) and
are intended for presenting substantial unpublished research and reporting
on significant new digital resources or methodologies.

 4. Panels

 Panels (90 minutes) are comprised of either:

 (a) Three long papers on a joint theme. All abstracts should be submitted
together with a statement, of no more than 300 words, outlining the session
topic and its relevance to current directions in the digital humanities; or

 (b) A panel of four to six speakers. The panel organiser should submit a
300-word outline of the topic session and its relevance to current
directions in the digital humanities as well as an indication from all
speakers of their willingness to participate.

 --------------------
CONVENORS
--------------------

 Dr Paul Arthur, Australian National University
Dr Katherine Bode, Australian National University

 ------------------------------------
PROGRAM COMMITTEE
------------------------------------

 Dr Paul Arthur, Australian National University
Dr Craig Bellamy, VeRSI, University of Melbourne, Australia
Dr Katherine Bode, Australian National University
Prof Hugh Craig, University of Newcastle, Australia
Prof Jane Hunter, University of Queensland, Australia
Dr Sydney Shep, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand

--
Dr Paul Arthur* ** *paularthur.com  http://www.paularthur.com

Deputy Director, National Centre of Biography
Deputy General Editor, Australian Dictionary of Biography
School of History, Research School of Social Sciences
Australian National University

Chair, Australasian Association for Digital Humanities
aa-dh.org/chairs-welcome
Executive Committee, International Auto/Biography Association theiaba.org
Advisory Board, Australian Consortium of Humanities Research Centres
achrc.net
Series Editor, Anthem Scholarship in the Digital Age anthempress.com

Twitter: @pwlarthur  http://twitter.com/#!/pwlarthur  |
@biographynews http://twitter.com/#!/biographynews