[Humanist] 25.351 Digital Americanists renewed

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 7 07:39:11 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 10:01:38 -0500
        From: Ryan Cordell <rccordell at gmail.com>
        Subject: From the Digital Americanists: A New Board, New Initiatives,and a Membership Drive

Dear past, current, and future members of the Digital Americanists,

Exciting things are happening in the Digital Americanists Society this
year! In May a new board was elected at ALA. The new board comprises:

Amanda Gailey, University of Nebraska, President
Matthew Wilkens, Notre Dame University, Vice-President
Ryan Cordell, St. Norbert College, Secretary/Treasurer

The new board has begun work on several new initiatives. First, we've
moved the website to UNL
(http://digitalamericanists.unl.edu/wordpress/), which should give us
more flexibility than we had with our previous host. We welcome ideas
about how we can make the website more useful to members. If you have
suggestions for making the Digital Americanists' site more than an
occasional news venue, please send us an email with your ideas.

Second, we're working to reach scholars in new venues. The DA will
continue to sponsor one or two panels at each year's American
Literature Association Conference97more details about that when the ALA
posts its CFP. Next year, however, we'll also sponsor a panel at the
Society for Textual Scholarship's conference in Austin
(http://textualsociety.org/). Finally, the DA has proposed a roundtable,
"Digits, Data, and Dilemmas: Digitization and Knowledge Production in
Nineteenth-Century American Literary Studies," for the C19
Americanists conference in Berkeley
(http://c19americanists.org/conference/). We're seeking to expand our
influence at Americanists gatherings, giving more scholars a chance to
present their digital work to more diverse audiences. If you're
interested in organizing a Digital Americanists panel at another
conference, please let us know!

In short, we hope to make membership in the Digital Americanists Society
more valuable. To help us develop these new initiatives, however, we
need you to join the society or renew your membership. Yearly dues are
just $10, and we will work to ensure that those dues give members more
than warm, fuzzy feelings of civic pride (though warm, fuzzy feelings of
civic pride are certainly nice). Visit our membership page
(http://digitalamericanists.unl.edu/wordpress/join/) for details about
how to join or renew your membership. We look forward to working with
all of you to further national conversations about technology and
American studies.

Please feel free to pass on this announcement to anyone you know who
might be interested in joining the Digital Americanists.

All the best,

Amanda Gailey, amanda.gailey at gmail.com
Matthew Wilkens, mwilkens at nd.edu
Ryan Cordell, rccordell at gmail.com