[Humanist] 25.347 events: TEI; DHSI; metadata; the novel

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 5 07:53:14 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Devin Griffiths <devingr at sas.upenn.edu>                   (61)
        Subject: DH Panel at ACLA

  [2]   From:    Seth van Hooland <svhoolan at ulb.ac.be>                     (38)
        Subject: Free your Metadata!

  [3]   From:    Julia Flanders <julia_flanders at brown.edu>                 (11)
        Subject: TEI workshop at Brown: space still available

  [4]   From:    "Dana Wheeles" <dw6h at cms.mail.virginia.edu>               (31)
        Subject: NINES Fellowships for DHSI 2012

        Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 10:42:02 -0400
        From: Devin Griffiths <devingr at sas.upenn.edu>

American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA)
http://www.acla.org/

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to alert the list to a panel at next year's ACLA
conference (at Brown), which addresses digital perspectives on the
novel.  The ACLA panel structure is a bit unusual in that they consist
of twelve presenters who meet for two hours a day each of the three days
of the conference -- almost like a workshop.  I've pasted a description
of the panel below.  If you're interested, please apply directly to the
organizers here  http://acla.org/acla2012/?page_id=45
(http://acla.org/acla2012/?page_id=45) by Nov. 15.  Megan and I look
forward to seeing you in Providence.

Best,
Devin Griffiths

    Digital Perspectives on the World of the Novel

*Seminar Organizers:*

  * Megan Ward (Point Park University), Devin Griffiths (University of
    Pennsylvania )

This panel explores how new technologies change the way we think about
the novel.

The world of the novel includes the imaginative world within the text,
traditionally analyzed through close-reading of particular texts.
Digital technologies allow for greater breadth of analysis but may also
call into question focused readings of individual novels.  How do
networks, visualizations, or phrase nets, for instance, reinterpret
literary world-making -- within texts and between them?  The world of
the novel also recognizes the novel as a world system.  How can digital
perspectives help us understand what Wai Chee Dimock calls "the broader
constellation" of the novel across the timescales and geopolitical
boundaries that constitute literary periods and fields of inquiry?  And
how do comparative methods transform the tools of digital humanism from
technologies of "distant reading," in Franco Moretti's description, into
tools of "thick reading" that find increased particularity and depth
through broader analysis?  Tools such as Google's n-gram viewer can
chart fictions of catastrophe in historical perspective, but how do
charts and graphs constitute objects of critical inquiry?  How can
text-mining and computational linguistics provide access to, rather than
foreclose, the modes of textual, cultural, and historical engagement
that drive contemporary scholarship?

Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

  * Digital Comparativism,
  * Geographic Information and World Systems,
  * Text Mining,
  * Comparative Analysis,
  * The Informatics of Global Textual Flows,
  * Network Analysis,
  * Comparative Stylistics,
  * Digital Piracy,
  * The Novel and Hacktivism,