[Humanist] 25.519 events: modelling

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 30 08:00:34 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:38:07 +0100
        From: "Diekmann, S." <S.Diekmann at TUE.NL>
        Subject: CFP: VALUES AND NORMS IN MODELING (VaNiM 2012)

VALUES AND NORMS IN MODELING (VaNiM 2012)

June 25-27, 2012.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands

[CALL FOR PAPERS]

We invite submissions for the upcoming conference Values and Norms in Modeling (VaNiM 2012) which will be held at Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands, June 25-27, 2012 -- vanim2012.ieis.tue.nl<http://vanim2012.ieis.tue.nl>.

It is widely acknowledged that a large variety of values and norms (including epistemic, moral, and political values and norms) play an important role in modeling. Although the literature about the role of values in science is huge, the specific theme of values and norms exclusively focusing on modeling has not yet received the attention it should. Models are often conceived of as being approximate representations of phenomena or systems. Moreover, they are often seen as having epistemic or even non-epistemic purposes, which makes them subject to a plethora of normative influences. We are interested in questions such as: How do epistemic and non-epistemic values affect the production and assessment of models? What is the moral significance of these values and norms? To what extent, if any, does the allowance of value assessments threaten the objectivity of models? Would it be desirable and possible to eliminate epistemic or non-epistemic values and norms from models? We invite papers addressing these and related issues from a foundational as well as an applied perspective. We especially welcome contributions on non-epistemic values in engineering modeling, climate modeling and modeling in operations research.

Keynote speakers:
- Bas van Fraassen & Isabelle Peschard
- Ilkka Niiniluoto
- Stephan Hartmann
- Eric Winsberg
- Susan Sterrett
- Athur Petersen
- Wendy Parker
- Marc Le Menestrel

Abstracts of no more than 500 words can be sent to vanim2012 at easychair.org<mailto:vanim2012 at easychair.org> until January 10, 2012. All proposals have to be submitted under one of the four conference themes:

1. VALUES IN MODELING: FOUNDATIONAL ISSUES
2. VALUES IN ENGINEERING MODELING
3. VALUES IN CLIMATE MODELING
4. VALUES IN OPERATIONS RESEARCH MODELING

Talks will be allotted 30 minutes and will be followed by a 15 minutes discussion period.

For further information visit: vanim2012.ieis.tue.nl<http://vanim2012.ieis.tue.nl>

Sven Diekmann,
s.diekmann at tue.nl<mailto:s.diekmann at tue.nl>
Department of Philosophy and Ethics

Ecis - Eindhoven Centre for Innovation Studies