[Humanist] 25.504 where the thrill is

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 09:48:15 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:06:05 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: getting to the thrill

I take Stephen Woodruff's point, in Humanist 25.500, that hackers love
to play with the tools and build things, while end-users just want the
thing to work. But what I suppose I was really getting at was in Daniel
Alllington's analogy to the musician and instrument. While I don't want
to deny the pleasures and achievements of hacking -- far from that, I
once was an assembly-language programmer and *loved* twiddling the bits
-- I think we're feeling our way toward a third kind of relationship, to
use Allington's metaphor: between the instrument maker and the listener
is the musician.

I think the concept "end-user" seriously inhibits our ability to think beyond
the Fordist model of industrial manufacturing, in its deleterious effects no
more vividly illustrated than by Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times (1936,
also the year of Turing's paper). As I like to ask, what sorts of
people do we call "users"? Do we really want to be positioning our
audience at the end of a production-line?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,