[Humanist] 25.490 David Hockney on convenience

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 18 08:43:53 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:11:54 -0500 (EST)
        From: lachance at chass.utoronto.ca
        Subject: Rhetoric of Convenience: Hockney

Willard

I thought the following might be of interest for those that watch trends
in technology and the arts. I also offer it here as an example of the
rhetoric of convenience.

David Hockney from the brochure for "fresh flowers" on view at the Royal
Ontario Museum in Toronto

<quote>
With the iPhone I often drew with my thumb. I could hold it in my right
hand and my thumb could reach every corner of the screen as it was small
and the fulcrum of the thumb is within the thumb. I learned to type with
my thumb as well, holding the phone in my right hand. I could then have a
cigarette in my left hand to help me concentrate. I was one of the first
to get an iPad simply because it was bigger and I assumed he drawings
could be more complicated. I suggested to friends that they get one and I
would send them the drawings. there was a new thing on the iPad. You could
play the drawing back with the press of a button. I had never seen myself
draw before, this also seemed fascinating to everybody I showed them to.
The only thing seen like this before was Picasso drawing on glass for a
film.
</quote>

Francois Lachance