[Humanist] 25.486 complementarity

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 18 08:36:43 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:15:45 +0100
        From: Seth van Hooland <svhoolan at ulb.ac.be>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.480 complementarity

Humanities not only provide a purpose but also the content. Having
assisted to numerous meetings in the context of European Commission
funded projects, the humanities are in some contexts downgraded as mere
"content providers". The following quote from Simon Knell regarding the
DigiCULT initiative is quite illustrative in this sense:

"What technologists have come to understand is that technologies are not
taken up if content is inadequate (hence the rise of texting and the
failure of WAP). Future online services require a critical mass of
quality content, and the proven popularity of museums on the Web
suggests a natural way forward. Certainly there is a relationship of
mutual benefit here between those who wish to develop new
technological solutions and the content-holding institutions who wish to
develop new audiences. And as cultural materials in museums, libraries
and archives are traditionally available free, they also present a
relatively unproblematic resource from which to tap. This relationship
has given the DigiCULT initiative a certain prestige and political
weight." [S. Knell. The shape of things to come: museums in the
technological landscape. Museums and society, 1(3):132-146,
2003, p. 136]."

So it's clear that humanities can provide content and money for the
promotion of technologies, but I'm sure we're capable of providing more
than just that, no?

Seth van Hooland
Président du Master en Sciences et Technologies de l'Information et
de la Communication (MaSTIC)
Université Libre de Bruxelles
Av. F.D. Roosevelt, 50 CP 123  | 1050 Bruxelles
http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~svhoolan/
http://mastic.ulb.ac.be
0032 2 650 4765
Office: DC11.113

Le 17 nov. 2011 06:22, Humanist Discussion Group a écrit :

>                 Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 25, No. 480.
>

>        Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:00:44 +0000
>        From: Adam Crymble <adam.crymble at gmail.com>
>        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.477 complementarity
>

> As someone who buys his bread and pays his university tuition with money
> from humanists looking for technical solutions, I'd encourage everyone not
> to underestimate the contributions of the underwriter. Technology in its
> own right is useless without an application. Humanities scholarship
> provides a purpose for some of that technology and the money with which to
> apply it.
>
> Adam Crymble
> PhD Student, History & Digital Humanities
> King's College London
[...]