[Humanist] 25.477 complementarity

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 16 08:36:44 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Seth van Hooland <svhoolan at ulb.ac.be>                    (151)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.475 complementarity?

  [2]   From:    Desmond Schmidt <desmond.schmidt at qut.edu.au>              (27)

        Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 13:20:26 +0100
        From: Seth van Hooland <svhoolan at ulb.ac.be>

Dear prof. McCarty,

I am currently giving a course on information technology to 550
undergraduate students from the arts and humanities faculty of the
Université Libre de Bruxelles. So it is my job to convince 20-21 year
old students in history, linguistics, philosophy, etc of the importance
to be able to model a simple entity-relationship diagram, understand how
the web works, code some basic HTML/CSS and in the sideline point out
how the hours they spend on Facebook are exploited as a form of
Immaterial Labour 2.0 (see for example
http://ephemeraweb.org/journal/7-1/7-1cote-pybus.pdf).

One of the main goals I have set myself with this course is to
demonstrate what the humanities have to offer to engineers and computer
scientists (for those of you interested, you can find the syllabus of
this course on
http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~svhoolan/syllabus_TRANB300.pdf). When I show
a piece of simple HTML source code or a database schema on my slides
during the first classes, at least 200 or 300 students gaze at me with
pure horror in their eyes. This purely irrational reaction is partly due
to the underdog position humanities put themselves in as in regards to
the "sciences exactes". That is why I am currently trying (I put the
emphasis on trying) to convince my students that there are opportunities
for humanists to provide engineers and IT professionals with valuable
input. Making an abstract model of a complex reality (which can be done
with pen and paper) is typically something which can (and should) be
done by someone who understands that reality, which is in most cases a
humanist. The fact that this is currently not the case, is also probably
one of the reasons why so many digitization projects fail or do not
deliver satisfactory results.

Coming back to the question of prof. McCarty to supply concrete evidence
of the added-value of humanities towards technologies, I would like to
point out to the research of Isabelle Boydens (my former PhD
supervisor), who has been working over the last decade on how the
historical method at large, and hermeneutics in particular, can help to
assess and to improve the quality of databases. The research of prof.
Boydens has led to huge cost savings in the domain of the management of
the Belgian social security, so a more concrete example of the
added-value of humanities towards technologies is difficult to find. For
those of you who read French, I can not recommend "Informatique, normes
et temps" highly enough (see
http://www.amazon.com/Informatique-normes-temps-L-Boydens/dp/2802712683/re
f3Dsr_1_1?ie3DUTF8&qid3D1321351868&sr3D8-1). David Bade of the
University of Chicago recently wrote a review of her work in "It's about
Time!: Temporal Aspects of Metadata Management in the Work of Isabelle
Boydens" (Cataloging & Classification Quarterly (The International
Observer), volume 49, nB0 4, 2011, pp. 328-338 (see
http://catalogingandclassificationquarterly.com/ccq49nr4.html).

Isabelle Boydens and I have recently published an article in the Journal
of Documentation on the importance and the concrete added-value of
hermeneutics in the field of empirical databases (see
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid3D1911713&show3Dabst
ract, please feel free to contact me if you do not have access to the
full article), which demonstrates how hermeneutics (relying on the work
of Fernand Braudel and Norbert Elias) can be operationalized to provide
a framework to understand and act upon data quality issues.

In the context of the project Freeyourmetadata.org, I will be giving
several presentations in the US (Columbia, University of Maryland, CHNM
George Mason and University of Illinois Champaign) in the second and
third week of February 2012, so please contact me if you are in that
region and want to discuss the aforementioned issues. I would be
delighted to explore this issue with colleagues and collaborate on more
publications which concretely point out the added-value of the
humanities for the technological domain.

Kind regards,

Seth van Hooland
Président du Master en Sciences et Technologies de l'Information et de
la Communication (MaSTIC)
Université Libre de Bruxelles
Av. F.D. Roosevelt, 50 CP 123  | 1050 Bruxelles
http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~svhoolan/
http://mastic.ulb.ac.be
0032 2 650 4765
Office: DC11.113