[Humanist] 25.474 events: language technology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 14 08:45:31 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 12:07:58 -0500
        From: "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <lauersdorf at uky.edu>
        Subject: final call: Language Technology at KFLC

[The following was in its previous manifestation on Humanist rudely
truncated by software, which mistook the header in the implicitly quoted
message for its end. Apologies to Professor Lauersdorf. --WM]

Dear colleagues,

This is the *Final Call* for submission of abstracts to the Language
Technology sessions at the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference (KFLC)
2012.

There is still time to join our international group and be a part of the 7th
annual LangTech sessions.

** Deadline for abstract submission is Tuesday, 15 November 2011 **

For your reference, I have included below my original message with a brief
description of the conference and the full Call for Papers.

Many thanks to those who have already responded and who have shared this
information with their colleagues and constituents.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to get in touch
with me.

I look forward to hearing from you and your colleagues and to adding your
work to the growing list of exciting proposals that have already come in.

With best regards,

Mark

-----Original Message-----> From: Lauersdorf, Mark R
> Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 3:28 PM
> To: 'humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org'
>  Subject: Call for Papers: Language Technology at KFLC 2012

Dear colleagues,

I would like to invite you to submit an abstract for participation in the
7th annual Language Technology sessions at the Kentucky Foreign Language
Conference (KFLC).

The KFLC is an international, multidisciplinary academic conference with a
65-year history of bringing together top researchers in language,
literature, culture, and linguistics in the fields of Arabic, East Asian,
French and Francophone, German-Austrian-Swiss, Hispanic, Italian,
Luso-Afro-Brazilian, and Russian Studies, as well as Language Technology,
Translation and Cultural Studies, and Second Language Acquisition.  The KFLC
offers broad exposure for your work, gathering over 750 scholars in these
disciplines from around the world.

The Language Technology division ("LangTech at the KFLC") was inaugurated at
KFLC 2006.  In bringing a technology track to a high-level international
academic conference with a strong literary-cultural tradition and
orientation, we provide a forum for both academics and technologists to
engage in a discussion of technological innovation in the teaching and
research of world literatures and cultures (in addition to the more
customary discussions of technology in language instruction).  Indeed,
"LangTech at the KFLC" seeks to encourage cross-pollination of ideas across
languages and literary-cultural interests, encouraging participants from all
KFLC literature, culture, and linguistics divisions to join in discussions
on integrating technology into their teaching and research programs.

I have included below the official Call for Papers for this year's LangTech
at the KFLC 2012.  I hope that you will consider bringing your work in
Language Technology to Lexington to showcase for us, and that you will share
this call broadly with your colleagues.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope to see you here in the spring.

Best regards,

Mark Lauersdorf

----- CALL FOR PAPERS - LANGTECH AT THE KFLC - 19-21 April 2012 -----

It's Year 7 of LangTech at the KFLC!  At the intersection between technology
and literary, cultural, language, and linguistic teaching and research, we
welcome submissions on any aspect of:

**Technology for Literature & Culture, Language & Linguistics**

This includes, but is certainly not limited to:- integrating technology into literature, culture, and linguistics *curricula and classrooms*
- *faculty research* in literature, culture, and linguistics employing technology ("digital humanities")
- technology for *student projects and research* in literature, culture, and linguistics

Abstracts are, of course, also welcome in *all* other areas and aspects of technology and language, such as:
- using tech tools and techniques for *language instruction* in all skills and on all levels
- *mentoring* language educators in optimal use of technology in their teaching and research
- employing technology-based *research publication* in language scholarship
- *managing* language technology in an academic setting

The KFLC is an international academic conference that brings together top researchers in language, literature, culture, and linguistics in the fields of Arabic, East Asian, French and Francophone, German-Austrian-Swiss, Hispanic, Italian, Luso-Afro-Brazilian, and Russian Studies, as well as Translation and Cultural Studies and Second Language Acquisition.  We would like to see this broad range represented in the Language Technology sessions, to encourage cross-pollination of ideas across the languages and disciplines working to integrate technology into their teaching and research programs, and to encourage participants from the literature, culture, and linguistics sessions to join us in our discussions.

Abstracts should be no more than 250-300 words in length and should be submitted directly online at:

**KFLC Abstract Site: http://www.kflcabstracts.uky.edu/**

In view of the multi-language audience that we hope to attract to all Language Technology sessions, the recommended language of presentation is English.

**Deadline for submission of abstracts and panel proposals is 15 November 2011.**

All proposed abstracts will be considered for inclusion in the KFLC program.  Acceptance of a paper implies a commitment on the part of the participant(s) to register and attend the conference.  All presenters must pay the appropriate registration fee by 15 February 2012 to be included in the program.  The conference will take place 19-21 April 2012 on the campus of the University of Kentucky in Lexington.

For more information on conference logistics, please visit: http://web.as.uky.edu/kflc/.  For specific information on the Language Technology sessions, contact the division director at the coordinates listed below.

If you've been with us before, make Year 7 the year you return!  If you've never been, make this the year to join us in beautiful springtime Kentucky for "LangTech at the KFLC"!

Mark Lauersdorf

-----------------------------------
Dr. Mark Richard Lauersdorf
KFLC -- Language Technology division director

Associate Professor of Languages and Linguistics
Director of Language Technology
Interim Director, Collaboratory for
Research in Computing for Humanities

1055 Patterson Office Tower