[Humanist] 25.473 events: textual studies; virtual archaeology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 14 08:35:47 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>             (4)
        Subject: Virtual archaeology

  [2]   From:    Brent Nelson <brent.nelson at usask.ca>                      (61)
        Subject: CFP -- Beyond Accessibility: Textual Studies in the 21st
                Century

        Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:27:51 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>

This call for papers may be of interest for Humanist (if it hasn't already appeared and I haven't missed it!)

http://www.virtualarchaeology.ru/info/

        Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:40:17 -0600
        From: Brent Nelson <brent.nelson at usask.ca>
        Subject: CFP -- Beyond Accessibility: Textual Studies in the 21st Century

*Beyond Accessibility: Textual Studies in the 21st Century

Call for Papers*

The Textual Studies team of INKE (Implementing New Knowledge
Environments) wish to invite presentation proposals for Beyond
Accessibility: Textual Studies in the 21st Century .
June 8, 9, and 10, 2012, University of Victoria, Victoria BC, Canada.
Keynote speakers: Adriaan van der Weel (Leiden University) and Sydney
Shep, (Victoria University of Wellington)

At the end of the 20th century, textual studies witnessed a revolution
in accessibility to texts with the explosion of the internet.  Now we
simply take it for granted that digital processes infuse every step of
our study, editing, production, and dissemination of texts. The Textual
Studies team of INKE invites presentations that address the questions
"What is the state of textual studies in the 21st century? What is the
important work of textual studies in the 21st century? What are the
outstanding issues, challenges, concerns, emerging trends, methods,
attitudes, and exciting developments in textual scholarship?  Papers may
address such questions as

    *     What is the state of the scholarly edition after the
transition from print to print and digital?
    *     What is the impact on the material book and on book history of
the different kinds of access enabled by the digital medium?
    *     How have authorship attribution studies been transformed by
access to so many more searchable texts?
    *     How has the new age of access to materials affected the state
of textual studies in various regions of the globe?
    *     How well are scholars being served by traditional and emerging
infrastructures for the study, creation, production, and dissemination
of texts?
    *     What is the future of, for example, the study of readership
and letter writing, genetic editing, and reception history?

INKE is a multi-national, multi-disciplinary research initiative, funded
by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada and
partnering organizations, to study, develop, and implement digital
environments for reading and research (www.inke.ca).   The Textual
Studies Team of INKE is researching ways in which the age of manuscript
and print production can inform our development and implementation of
electronic reading technologies.

We invite proposals for papers, posters/demonstrations, and roundtable
discussions that address these and other issues pertinent to research in
textual studies. Proposals should contain a title, a detailed and
focussed abstract (of approximately 300 words) plus list of works cited,
and the names, affiliations, and Website URLs of presenters. Please send
proposals before 15 December 2011 to richard.cunningham at acadiau.ca.

Potential participants in the conference, particularly those coming from
abroad, might be interested to take advantage of the Digital Humanities
Summer Institute, which will just before our conference, from 4-8 June,
also at the University of Victoria (http://www.dhsi.org/).   A limited
number of scholarships for workshop tuition will be available for
graduate students participating in the Beyond Accessibility conference.
Also of potential interest is the annual conference of the Society for
Digital Humanities (SDH/SEMI) at the Congress of the Humanities and
Social Sciences at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, 28-30
May, 2012 (http://www.sdh-semi.org/).