[Humanist] 25.469 working with what one has

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Nov 13 10:10:16 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Sheila M. Morrissey" <Sheila.Morrissey at ithaka.org>        (6)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 25.465 working with what one has?

  [2]   From:    Bob Blair <bblair48 at yahoo.com>                           (105)

        Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:07:19 -0500
        From: "Sheila M. Morrissey" <Sheila.Morrissey at ithaka.org>

It would be, to say the least, a collection with quite a history -- c.f. Samuel Johnson's Letter to Lord Chesterfield:

Is not a patron my lord, one who looks with unconcern on a man struggling for life in the water, and, when he has reached ground, encumbers him with help? The notice which you have been pleased to take of my labours, had it been early, had been kind; but it has been delayed till I am indifferent, and cannot enjoy it: till I am solitary, and cannot impart it;  till I am known, and do not want it. I hope it is no very cynical asperity not to confess obligations where no benefit has been received, or to be unwilling that the public should consider me as owing that to a patron, which providence has enabled me to do for myself.

Sheila Morrissey