[Humanist] 25.465 working with what one has?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 12 10:19:43 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:57:07 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: without funding

The genre of "acknowledgements" in books provides a chance not often
taken to comment on the socio-intellectual circumstances of scholarly
work. Following is one for your collection, and one that answers to a
thread of discussion that has surfaced more in recent times than earlier.
It is thanks to Robert Jarvis, who is Adlai E. Stevenson Professor of International
Politics at Columbia. He begins his acknowledgements to System Effects:
Complexity in Political and Social Life (Princeton, 1997), co-winner of
the American Political Science Association's Best Book Award in
political psychology for 1998, thus:

> At lunch with younger colleagues a number of years ago, I mentioned
> that a journal had just rejected my latest article. They could hardly
> disguise their relief at learning that this doesn't happen just to
> them. In this spirit I would like to say that several private
> foundations and public funding agencies declined to support this research.
>
> So my debts are intellectual only.

I have perhaps mentioned before that my first great lesson along these
lines came from a seminar given by Dr. Rangaswamy Narasimhan
(http://hindu.com/2007/09/04/stories/2007090455531100.htm) at the
International Semiotics Symposium in Toronto in 1987. For several
days we sat in a room and, with Narasimhan's guidance, imagined
a computing system capable of learning as a child learns. Narasimhan
knew quite a bit about the developmental psychology of children. What
I didn't know then was that he had designed the first general purpose
computer in India. How thrilling those days with him were!

Of course he had no end of funding at the Tata Institute of Fundamental
Research, and of course Jarvis had all the while support in the form
of a professorship at Columbia. But there is, I think, a lesson to be
learned about what one can do with what one has.

Comments?

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,