[Humanist] 25.446 Fish on GeoHumanities etc.

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 3 05:34:25 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 11:02:03 +0000
        From: D.Allington <d.allington at open.ac.uk>
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 25.442 Fish on GeoHumanities

As Steven observes, it is 'no great effort to counter [Fish's] position re the achievement of the humanities on the intellectual level'. In fact, one can easily counter or even reverse most of the positions he takes in that article. For example, to say (as Fish does) that 'In the ‘70s and the ‘80s the humanities exported theory to the social sciences' is to forget that the social sciences have always 'exported theory' to the humanities.

Even when I agree with Fish, I can't help but be annoyed by his posturing and empty controversialism. If he were an anonymous USENET poster, we'd call him a troll. Which suggests that the best response may be to ignore him - as I have in this case failed to do!

Daniel

Dr Daniel Allington
Lecturer in English Language Studies and Applied Linguistics
Centre for Language and Communication
The Open University
+44 (0) 1908 332 914

http://open.academia.edu/DanielAllington