[Humanist] 25.439 intro topics and texts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 08:03:27 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
        From: Deena Engel <deena at courant.nyu.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.387 intro topics and texts

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay in my reply to this thread.

I would add at a semester of database technologies/programming to the
proposed curriculum below.

Please note that our department (Computer Science at New York University)
takes a different approach to teaching Digital Humanities to
undergraduates. We offer a Web Programming Minor in the Computer Science
Department (http://cs.nyu.edu/webapps/content/academic/undergrad/minors),
and we offer a course called "Computing in the Humanities and the Arts" in
the "380" series, under "Topics of General Interest". We have offered the
Computing in the Humanities Course three times in the last four years to a
mixture of Computer Science major and Web Programming minor students.
Students come into the course with at least one semester each of web
design (including xHTML, CSS and related skills) and at least one semester
of programming (Python or Java) so the course is readily accessible to
undergraduate students with Humanities major and/or minor fields. It has
been our experience that for many of the students in this class that this
course has "opened their eyes" to possibilities in combining their two
fields of interest.

Regards,
Deena Engel
Deena Engel