[Humanist] 25.42 in denial

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed May 25 01:17:52 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (10)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.41 in denial

  [2]   From:    Todd Lawson <todd.lawson at utoronto.ca>                     (50)

        Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 16:45:53 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>

Whether we are Homo Faber or Homo Ludens is not defined by the tools
that we use, but by the attitude toward those tools that we have.  The
first sharpened flint was produced by Homo Faber.  A man who sharpens
a flint in the middle of a jungle or desert or other kind of
wilderness today in order to hunt for food -- in order to survive --
is Homo Faber. A member of an industrialized society sharpening a
flint is usually Homo Faber.

The flint is still the flint, though.  The man makes the tool in every
sense of the word long before the tool can begin to make the man.

Jim R