[Humanist] 25.39 zoom in on ancient Rome, or what?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 20 22:36:46 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 08:32:53 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: zoom in on ancient Rome

See http://www.reading.ac.uk/about/newsandevents/releases/PR355783.aspx
on a project from the University of Reading (UK). Comments on what such
a thing (or better, what the human-machine interaction in this case) has to do with
history and historiography would be welcome.

Or perhaps what's happening here should not be hauled up before the judge and
asked for evidence of value to the study of ancient Rome but read for what it has
to tell us about something we'd like to be able to do but don't quite yet know how to
do it. Ideally, from the perspective of an historian, what sorts of questions could
be addressed in anything like this zooming in? What if the technology were
(as I think people say) immersive? Less the animated cartoon-version, more
the experience of being there and enacting Rome? What questions should we
be asking?

College London; Centre for Cultural Research, University of Western
Sydney; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org);
Editor, Humanist (www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/); www.mccarty.org.uk/