[Humanist] 25.23 in denial

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 17 07:18:59 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 10:54:47 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.22 in denial

While I am happy to agree with Prof. Rocchi — in the abstract, of course —
the understanding of even the most primitive of tools, say the principles of
finding the right flint, slate, obsidian, the chipping and making of a
spearpoint, a knife for dissection of the mammoth, another flint for a spark
for a cooking fire...all those aspects of feeding, the culturing of my
tribe, and children, whether I am woman or man, is already divided into the
tool-makers, and users, who need not know how to chip, or even hunt, if the
hunters go out.

On the other hand, Rocchi's concern re those who might want to know how to
make gasoline, after refining crude oil, after drilling for it, after
hunting for it, after studying geology at university, and so on back, might
be useless tomorrow.  I recommend Lem's haunting novel, FIASCO.  S. Lem was
both an engineer and highly-cultivated European style Humanist.  I wont go
further with that novel here, because it has to be read, to be felt, felt to
be contemplated, contemplated to be understood, and understood to make my
argument about denial/acceptance; ignorance/knowledge, etc.  All the
understanding of anything whatever is as nothing to the newborn child, who
will, one way or another grow up the same primitive being whose bones may or
may lie in the vicinity of the earliest cave-dwelling painters of hunting
magic, if that is what those image are.

Jascha Kessler

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
Jascha Kessler
Telephone/Facsimile: 310.393.4648