[Humanist] 25.11 desert island discs?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed May 11 08:00:39 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 06:57:36 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: desert island discs

One of my favourite radio programmes is Desert Island Discs, broadcast
on BBC Radio 4. When it was first aired, on 27 January 1942, it was
described as,

> a programme in which a well-known person is asked the question, if
> you were to be cast away alone on a desert island, which eight
> gramophone records would you choose to have with you, assuming of
> course, that you had a gramophone and an inexhaustible supply of
> needles

The choices have not in the nearly 70 years of its history converged on
any canonical list of the best. They tell you in each case much about
the person interviewed. They remind you of things you have forgotten,
and put you in mind of others you somehow didn't know. But moving (as it
were) in the opposite direction from this constantly expanding cultural
cosmos is also a sense of a cosmos, not a chaos, not a miscellaneous
jumble, or if that, then *a* jumble which itself is just as it should
be. Especially if one listens to the programme on a dark, gray Saturday
afternoon in a northern hemispheric winter, or via the Internet from the
other side of the world.

So my question: what creations relating to the digital humanities would
you take with you to that desert island? What articles and books? What
gizmos, presuming an inexhaustible supply of power to run them? And if
your list is too short, then what orders would you put in, now in
advance of your exile, for that which you would take with you if only it
existed?

(For more on the programme, see
www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs.)

College London; Centre for Cultural Research, University of Western
Sydney; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org);
Editor, Humanist (www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/); www.mccarty.org.uk/