[Humanist] 24.833 aesthetics of computing?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 31 08:32:19 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        From: Humanist Discussion Group <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Postles, David A. (Dr.)" <pot at leicester.ac.uk>            (2)
        Subject: aesthetics of computing?

  [2]   From:    John Levin <john at anterotesis.com>                         (10)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.828 aesthetics of computing?

        Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:06:48 +0100
        From: "Postles, David A. (Dr.)" <pot at leicester.ac.uk>

Or, perhaps it could also be considered as commodity fetishism or Bourdieu's _Distinction_ in his social critique of the judgment of taste - as symbolic capital distancing an elite from others.  Having said that, I am a sucker for the beautiful desktop, such as the Enlightenment E17 desktop in Linux, but I am equally attracted to the minimalist one like OpenBox or FluxBox (e.g. Crunchbang with its elegant minimalism).  In the end, however, my criteria are inclusiveness, accessibility, communitarian reciprocity (OpenSource), proper value, and no harm to the people who assemble the product.

Dave Postles