[Humanist] 24.828 aesthetics of computing?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 30 07:20:39 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 06:12:24 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: aesthetics

One development in the history of computing is the aesthetics of
hardware. This is not new, of course: the Selective Sequence Electronic
Calculator, put in the front window of IBM's World Headquarters at
Madison Avenue and 57th Street in 1948, had a jewel-like console. It was
designed to be seen and admired as an object. (Google for images with
"ibm ssec".) Some, but not many here, will remember the console of the
CDC 6600, which was not beautiful, as was the SSEC, but which was the
product of a visual designer's efforts, I imagine, and had a
minimalist's sense of plain style about it. One could echo "form follows
function", but then everything depends on what you think that function
was -- not just the obvious one, but others, perhaps. The aesthetics of
the computers that for many years reached our studies increasingly
followed that plain style, with the exception of the Osborne and Apple
2, for example, which appealed to the geek in me more than did the IBM PC.

For the last few years hardware manufacturers, esp Apple, have paid
increasing attention to the aesthetics of their hardware. Consider
especially the Macbook Air as a physical object, both before and after
one turns it on (and perhaps turns oneself on thereby). We could say
that this is a marketing ploy, which is undoubtedly true. But I think we
have to ask, why does it work so well? What does it mean for our
computers to become (again) beautiful objects? What are the implications
of interfaces becoming also in a sense beautiful? What about the
*feeling* of (shall we call it?) graceful presence, of clearly
anticipated response to our every move?

I think it's important here not to be dismissive, either of the cunning
behind the aesthetics or of the actual, very real sense of beauty when
it is achieved. Would we want to work in an ugly building if we had the
choice? (I certainly do not.) Would we choose to work at an ugly, poorly
designed table if a beautiful, well crafted one were available? Perhaps
it would be more productive to consider the marketing as a means to the
designer's end rather than the other way around.

Comments?

College London; Centre for Cultural Research, University of Western
Sydney; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org);
Editor, Humanist (www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/); www.mccarty.org.uk/