[Humanist] 24.827 refiguring the human & literature

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 30 07:20:04 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>                       (128)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.825 refiguring the human & literature?

  [2]   From:    Richard Lewis <richard.lewis at gold.ac.uk>                  (40)

        Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:45:57 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>

I wonder whatever can be meant by a material universe "being" "fundamentally
statistical"?  I have always assemed statistics means playing with numbers,
and numbers are, I suppose, an epiphenomenon of language or thought.
Example:
My son calls the other day to talk about his 3rd child, Felix, now 22 months
old.  Felix, sitting on his lap an hour earlier, points to his little water
bottle on the table and says,  *My bottle.  *Points to another standing
beside it, and says, *My bottle.   *Then, cheerfully adds,  *1 bottle
*[pointing]
and  *2 bottle.   *... I have 2 bottles.
My son, a computer engineer, is flabbergasted.  That is his universe, and
that statement is a statistic of a sort — his two bottles.  But...the
universe a statistic?

When astronomers measure and describe, distances from our standpoint and
objects, they are not measuring statistics.  I will grant, in this matter,
that we, for instance hare composed of quanta which themselves subsist based
upon bosons and such particles that flash through quarks inside our atoms,
and have but momentary "existence."  That might be measured in terms of
statistics, but they themselves as observed are not statistics.  Or so this
writer or poems assumes.  Better, let me add a letter no newspaper, being
run by maniac egoists, would publish, even for the humor of it.  As follows,
in once instance:

September 2, 2010
Letters to the Editor
THE FINANCIAL TIMES
London
Sir:
Clear-headed and temperate John Kay believes “The essence of a right is that
it overrides consideration of pros and cons … of benefits or … costs.” [“Not
all rights should be defended to the death,” 1 September]  Temperate, yes;
clear-headed?  That requires further thought.  Yes, that right is inherent
to the strong is an ancient adage: “Vae victis,” a phrase in Livy — Woe to
the vanquished! — earlier expressed by Thucydides, who knew it from Homer or
from Hesiod’s parable of the Hawk and the Nightingale.   Nevertheless the
problem is profoundly deeper when viewed through a scientific perspective.
This year a startling DNA discovery was published.  It seems the bugs that
inhabit the globe — they also constitute 90% of our corporeal constitution —
are not only “creatures,” but have the “ability to sense when they have
sufficient numbers to attack.”  According to microbial geneticist Bonnie
Bassler, they are “stripped down versions of us.”  In short, we are au fond
complexly-swollen, aggregated versions of many kinds of bacteria who devour
whatever when concentrated strongly, but also our t00-familiar, implacable
enemy, E.coli.  A mortally-infected person has no Right to Life.  All
"Rights" derive from Law, but Power makes Law.  Not only is all fair in Love
and War. In short, anything goes.
Sincerely,
Santa Monica, CA 310.393.4648
www.jfkessler.com