[Humanist] 24.826 Collective Access system

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 30 07:18:54 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:22:57 +0200
        From: Seth van Hooland <svhoolan at ulb.ac.be>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.823 the Collective Access system?

Dear Alberto,

This semester the students of my course on document management are
doing projects in groups of two or three to build a prototype for the
museum and archives of my university with the help of
CollectiveAccess. Some of them run CA locally on their laptops (via
XAMP) and others have put it on a webserver. In the context of the
project, they really need to focus on the modeling of different
metadata schemes for different types of objects (paintings,
sculptures, etc) and create controlled vocabularies. It has took them
a couple of weeks to get accustomed to the structure of the
application (you have to model your world using objects, entities,
places, etc which can be interconnected via relationships) but most of
them are now quite enthousiastic about the project.

I'll probably organise a hands-on workshop on CollectiveAccess in
Brussels in collaboration with FARO (http://www.faronet.be/, who have
offered free installs of CollectiveAccess on Amazon's cloud storage
services for flemish cultural heritage organisations) somewhere around
mid june. Let me know if some of you would be interested in assisting,
but we'll try to keep the number of participants very limited.
Colleagues of mine in Berlin, namely Alexander Zeisberg (http://www.arbeitsstelle-provenienzforschung.de/
) and Jürgen Keiper (http://www.filmmuseum-berlin.de/) have also
organised workshops in the past and are also good people to contact if
you want any further information regarding the CA project.

I have now 10-12 years of experience with both closed and open-source
collection management software (TMS, Adlib, etc) and for the moment
CollectiveAccess offers to me the best solution. But you have to be
willing to put effort into experimenting and prototyping, or to pay a
consultant to do the job for you.

Kind regards,

Seth van Hooland
Digital Information Chair - ULB
Master en sciences et technologies de l'information et de la
communication  | Université Libre de Bruxelles
Av. F.D. Roosevelt, 50 CP 123  | 1050 Bruxelles
DB 11.113
http://mastic.ulb.ac.be/
http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~svhoolan/
+32-2-6504765