[Humanist] 24.819 literature brought virtually to life

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 28 07:16:35 CEST 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Tatjana Takseva <Tatjana.Takseva at SMU.CA>                  (56)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 24.817 literature brought virtually to life

  [2]   From:    D.Allington <d.allington at open.ac.uk>                      (31)

        Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 14:42:28 +0000
        From: Tatjana Takseva <Tatjana.Takseva at SMU.CA>

I am wondering whether there may be value in trying to speak of change without assigning moral values to it-that is, "change is good," vs. "change is bad." There may be times, such as with the instance involving students/faculty relationship with Shakespeare and the Internet, that change means change. As with all change, something is lost and something gained.

Dr. Tatjana Takseva
Associate Professor
Department of English
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, NS  B3H 3C3
Canada
Tatjana.Takseva at SMU.ca

     [Note below the sentence, "The Internet is less foreign to me than
     a Shakespeare play written 500 years ago.” Does that not speak
     volumes and give us a cause for concern? --WM]

i interpret the phrase this way.
those who are, and feel themselves, as part of respublica litterarum, feel
close to shakespeare as much as to - let's say - derek walcott.
but a young person feels today closer to a twitter friend in lybia than to
shakespeare because they have much more in common.
it's a long way the one which leds to have more in common (or as much as) with
shakespeare than with your neighbour, and not all people are able / want / find
interesting / ... to walk it.

the big question is: after years of university studies will our students have
walked that way, or not? if not, has the university missed its main target?
when we speak today of multiculturalism we intend it in an horizontal way:
cultures and people living today. but years of studies could (should) bring to
intend it in a vertical way too: cultures and people who lived in the past (and
who will live in the future too?).

maurizio
--
La Repubblica promuove lo sviluppo della cultura e la ricerca scientifica e
tecnica.