[Humanist] 24.817 literature brought virtually to life

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Mar 26 13:25:01 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    maurizio lana <m.lana at lett.unipmn.it>                     (33)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.811 literature brought virtually to life?

  [2]   From:    "Bleck, Bradley" <BradB at spokanefalls.edu>                  (8)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 24.813 literature brought virtually to life

        Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:01:12 +0100
        From: maurizio lana <m.lana at lett.unipmn.it>

Il 23/03/2011 07:19, Humanist Discussion Group ha scritto:
     [Note below the sentence, "The Internet is less foreign to me than
     a Shakespeare play written 500 years ago.” Does that not speak
     volumes and give us a cause for concern? --WM]

i interpret the phrase this way.
those who are, and feel themselves, as part of respublica litterarum, feel
close to shakespeare as much as to - let's say - derek walcott.
but a young person feels today closer to a twitter friend in lybia than to
shakespeare because they have much more in common.
it's a long way the one which leds to have more in common (or as much as) with
shakespeare than with your neighbour, and not all people are able / want / find
interesting / ... to walk it.

the big question is: after years of university studies will our students have
walked that way, or not? if not, has the university missed its main target?
when we speak today of multiculturalism we intend it in an horizontal way:
cultures and people living today. but years of studies could (should) bring to
intend it in a vertical way too: cultures and people who lived in the past (and
who will live in the future too?).

maurizio
--
La Repubblica promuove lo sviluppo della cultura e la ricerca scientifica e
tecnica.