[Humanist] 24.816 Yahoo pipes in education

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Mar 26 13:21:19 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:07:39 +0100
        From: Seth van Hooland <svhoolan at ulb.ac.be>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.814 Yahoo Pipes in education?

Dear Larry,

I've integrated a small exercice with Yahoo Pipes in my class on
Information Architecture (organized in the context of a master in
information science) a couple of weeks ago. The specific topic I
tackled that day was the impact of structured and open data on the
web, and I mainly focussed on XML. Most of my students don't really
have a technical background so I can't grab their attention during
more then two hours by explaining the benefits and the history of XML
and XML schema purely by showing them some examples in my slides, and
so I've asked them at the end of the class to play around with the
Yahoo Pipes. It's a very light-weight and easy to understand
application which illustrates the possibilities offered by RSS
(concrete application of XML) and you can ask the students to
integrate the pipe they've created within their own webpage.

I've put the slides of that class (which gives a very basic overview
of server- and client-side scripting, XML and the impact of these
technologies on our use of data on the web, illustrated by the open
data mouvement) on http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~svhoolan/structured_web.pdf

If you're looking for a book on the topic of mashups you can use: Yee,
R. (2008). Pro Web 2.0 mashups. Apress: New York.

Kind regards,

Seth van Hooland
Digital Information Chair - ULB
Master en sciences et technologies de l'information et de la
communication  | Université Libre de Bruxelles
Av. F.D. Roosevelt, 50 CP 123  | 1050 Bruxelles
DB 11.113
http://mastic.ulb.ac.be/
http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~svhoolan/
+32-2-6504765