[Humanist] 24.813 literature brought virtually to life

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 07:24:49 CET 2011

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 07:23:43 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.811 literature brought virtually to life?

I read Shakespeare on my own over the summer in high school.  Becoming familiar with Shakespeare is no great matter.  One only needs to read.  The real problem is a complete lack of imagination, literally.  Because students have not been made to read they cannot form their own images, but must have them constructed for them.

I will say, though, that digitally reconstructing the Globe and having students block the plays will require close reading of one type, though it can easily lead to a disregard of some of the intricacies of dialog.

Jim R